Whether you’ve decided to grow a beard to keep you warm during the winter months, are new to facial hair or have sported a full beard for many years, beards continue to be popular with men across all ages, cultures and styles.
It’s also true that a rising number of men are becoming more interested in male grooming. Skincare and beauty products designed specifically for males are big business and beard oil is a relatively recent addition to this flourishing market.
The use of beard oil is more popular than ever before and if you browse the shelves of any chemist or visit an online beauty shop, you’ll be met with a whole host of beard oils. But if you are unfamiliar with what to choose or have experienced poor results with a synthetic or overly processed oil, then read on to discover the benefits of natural argan oil when used to groom your beard.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means I may get a small commission if you purchase a product after clicking on a link. This does not cost you anything. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is argan oil?
Pure argan oil has been used for centuries as a health and beauty remedy and is also used in cookery. It has a refined, nutty flavour which makes it a tasty additional to culinary dishes, but also provides a wide range of potential health benefits for your skin and hair.
Argan trees grow in the desert region of Morocco. The argan tree bears the fruit approximately the size of a small plum and has a rich history of use in Moroccan beauty rituals. The argan kernel is removed from the outer casing and ground into a paste to create argan oil.
Argan oil is packed with Vitamin E which early research has shown can be beneficial for both your scalp and increased hair growth. It also primarily includes fatty acids which come from oleic and linoleic acid. Linoleic acid is the most common Omega-6 fat and it is believed it can promote healthy hair, hair growth and scalp health.
The beard benefits of using argan oil
So now you know more about the properties of argan oil, why should you use it on your beard? There are lots of good reasons:
- Promotes beard growth: Using argan oil daily creates a perfect environment to accelerate the growth of your beard – in this way you will be able to keep your skin hydrated without clogging your pores which means hair growth won’t be inhibited by acne, blackheads, pimples or dry, flaky skin.
- Stimulates hair follicles: If you are unfortunate enough to experience uneven or patchy beard growth, argan beard oil may encourage the hair follicles to thrive and help prevent ingrowing hairs.
- Prevents ‘beard itch’: Excessive scratching at dry flaky skin can cause dandruff and a very itchy beard. The more you scratch, the itchier it becomes. But you don’t have to reach for the razor as the regular use of argan oil will moisturise and protect sensitive skin and minimise dandruff or itchy facial hair.
- Helps to style your beard: Just like our hair, noses and eyes, all beards are different. Some are naturally smooth and luscious – and some need a little more help! Argan beard oil is ideal for taming unruly beards as it softens dry and unruly hair allowing you to create your favourite style with ease.
- May help to prevent spots: Argan oil is non-comedogenic which means it won’t block your pores and give you spots, quite the opposite actually. Some men report getting fewer spots when using argan oil as a beard oil.
- It smells divine: We had to mention this. The slightly nutty, natural smell of argan oil is far more pleasant than harsh aftershaves or perfumes. While the aroma offers no additional health benefits, it’s always nice to receive a compliment about the fragrance you’re wearing!
How to use argan oil for beard care
Now you’re fully armed with the knowledge that argan oil can work wonders for your beard, we’re sure you’ll want to try it. But how do you use this very special beard oil to get the maximum effects and benefits?
- Use a facial scrub first. Having a good base surface is vital in getting the most from your beard oil. Start your beard grooming routine with a high-quality facial scrub to remove dead skin and cleanse your pores. This provides clean skin below your beard and acts as a solid foundation on which to apply the oil.
- Apply a hot towel: It is a technique used by barbers across the globe. By using a hot towel or steaming your face, your pores will expand, and your facial hair will start to relax and soften, making it much more absorbent when you apply the argan oil.
- Comb your beard: By combing your facial hair, you loosen and remove dead hairs and skin making your beard appear healthier and thicker.
- Apply the beard oil – in moderation: A common error is using too much beard oil, the result is a beard that looks greasy and lank, rather than shiny and full. One or two drops of oil is plenty for a short or tailored beard and two or three drops is enough for a longer, thicker beard. Remember, you can always add more, so always start with a small amount. Apply the oil with clean hands and rub evenly through your beard from the roots to the tip. Comb and style for the finished look.
- Enjoy the compliments: Once styled, your beard will look fuller, shinier and healthier – and everyone will notice!
Additional tips when using argan oil for beard care:
- Make sure you apply argan oil on your beard every single day as this is really going to help prevent itchiness and irritation you may experience.
- Use argan oil straight after cutting your beard and on cheek line and neckline areas as well – this will help to soothe and moisturise your skin.
Where to buy argan oil for beard
The best is to buy argan oil online (Amazon is a good place) as it’s much easier than trying to find it on the high street. Just keep in mind that quality varies from brand to brand and to buy a good quality argan oil you should follow these guidelines:
- Check the ingredients list and make sure that the main ingredient is argan oil, nothing else. The bottle should contain 100% argan oil.
- Never buy argan oil stored in a clear, plastic bottle. To preserve its properties, argan oil should be stored in a dark glass bottle.
- Only buy cold-pressed argan oil. That’s because heat destroys some of its beneficial nutrients and compounds.
- Ideally buy organic, to avoid any pesticides and harmful toxins.
Here are some of the brands that meet the criteria above:
- John Masters Organics 100% Argan Oil
- The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Argan Oil
- Cliganic USDA Organic Argan Oil, 100% Pure
- Fatima’s Garden Argan Oil
Argan oil for beard – Summary
We’re sure that you’ll find argan oil is a prize-winning ingredient for your facial hair. While cheaper beard oils are available, the natural elements contained in argan oil are worth splashing out on.
From taming your beard to reducing dandruff and itches, argan oil offers nourishing properties to keep your beard in tip-top condition.