Azelaic and hyaluronic acid are two popular skincare ingredients known for their numerous benefits. However, knowing how to use them both is not always obvious. How many times have you asked yourself “Can I use azelaic acid with hyaluronic acid?”. Well, today we will answer this for you. Read on to discover how to use these two acids together.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means I may get a small commission if you purchase a product after clicking on a link. This does not cost you anything. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the skin responsible for maintaining its structure. In other words, hyaluronic acid contributes to the plumpness of the skin by guaranteeing the connectivity of skin tissues.
It is a strong humectant that draws and holds water on the skin to keep it hydrated.
Azelaic acid on the other hand is a naturally occurring compound found in the skin that improves its texture. It helps increase skin cell turnover for brighter skin and helps treat and soothe inflammatory skin conditions such as acne and rosacea. It is popular as a potent yet non-irritating hyperpigmentation treatment.
These two acids are safe for all skin types and can be used in the same skincare routine to tackle various issues simultaneously.
Benefits of hyaluronic acid:
- It has anti-aging properties. Thanks to its ability to attract and bind large molecules of moisture, it helps keep the skin hydrated and plump. Thus, wiping out deep wrinkles.
- It hydrates the skin and can increase moisture levels in the skin up to 96%.
Benefits of Azelaic acid:
- Azelaic acid can be used to treat inflammatory skin conditions such as acne and rosacea thanks to its potent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It can equally be used to fade acne scars and other signs of hyperpigmentation.
Combining these two molecules will ensure your skin is properly hydrated, blemish and discolouration-free. Both acids can be used 2 times a day, both morning and night. However, it should be noted that applying azelaic acid can increase the skin’s sensitivity to sun rays. So, when applying it during the day, make sure to wear sunscreen.
Hyaluronic and azelaic acid are two skincare ingredients that work well with all skin types. However unless you are using a product formulated with both ingredients in it, it is not advisable to mix them before applying them to the skin. This may reduce the effectiveness of each product.
Instead, it is recommended to layer hyaluronic acid first, then follow with azelaic acid, to facilitate the absorption of each product.
Keep in mind that when layering skincare products water-based products followed by oils and heavy creams.
Hyaluronic acid is mostly formulated in the form of water-based serums while azelaic acid is in oil-based serums or creams. Apply your hyaluronic acid serum on damp skin then follow with an azelaic acid serum, gel, or cream. Finally, lock in everything with your moisturizer.
No more hesitation! Grab your favourite hyaluronic and azelaic acid products and enjoy them stress-free.
Best natural products with azelaic acid
HOLIFROG Galilee Antioxidant Dewy Drop
- Restoring & repairing hydrating serum
- Lightweight & silky
- Suitable for all skin types
REN Clean Skincare Ready Steady Glow Daily AHA Tonic
- Exfoliating and brightening toner
- Smoothes, tones and reduces pore size
- Evens out skin tone
100% Pure Tea Tree Balancing Moisturizer
- Lightweight, quick-absorbing moisturizer
- Contains acne-fighting herbs
- For oily and acne-prone skin
- Soothing, calming and anti-inflammatory
Available from: 100% Pure
Best hyaluronic acid serums
The Organic Pharmacy Hyaluronic Acid Serum
- 95.8% organic
- Contains low molecular weight hyaluronic acid (Sodium Hyaluronate)
MÁDARA TIME MIRACLE Hydra Firm Hyaluron Concentrate Jelly
- Multi-molecular Hyaluronic Acid
- 100% natural origin
- Ecocert certified